Saturday, December 12, 2009

I only went to the shop for one thing

Hmm, that Verity at Baa Ram Ewe in Leeds has much to answer for. She stocks too much lovely yarn in her shop. I only went to get a set of DPN's so that if I ever get the body of my latest sweater finished I will be able to knit the sleeves. Mum wanted some laceweight for a shawl, so off we went in the car. Forty minutes in the shop and mum has laceweight and two skeins of sock yarn and I have this little lot:

Note that I did get what I went for, the DPN's can be seen poking out the front of the pile. I guess its quite a modest pile really. At the back is Colinette Jitterbug sock yarn. This just leapt from its basket into my arms. Its black with almost every other colour under the sun in it also. I cannot imagine how on earth they dye these yarns like this, it must be really difficult to do it when so many colours are involved. It looks even prettier wound up than it did on the skein. I petted the skein a bit too enthusiastically whilst stuck in traffic on the way home and it all came apart. I had to wind it into a ball as soon as I got home so it didn't tangle. To the right is Woolcraft Superwash sock yarn in a dark grey/black variagated colourway. Very sensible colourway suited to gifts for males.
The petrol/greyed teal is Rowan Kidsilk Haze which is destined to become a shawl. When I checked my pattern, the blue laceweight I got at the show hasn't enough yardage for the shawl I wanted to knit, so that will probably become a neck cowl instead. I haven't actually dared to look in the stash box, or on my Ravelry list, to see how many "socks in the raw" I have in there. I haven't actually attempted to fit the new wool into the stash box either. I suspect I will have to spend the rest of this evening tidying the box so the yarn will fit into it. I refuse to start a new box. A new box would require me to admit that I have an actual yarn stash, rather than one (admittedly large) box of stashed yarn. There is a subtle but extremely important difference. I know this because my fabric stash was once only big enough to fit in one box. Once it got into the second box there was no stopping it. Now its in a wardrobe. A very large wardrobe. Which it fills half of.

4 comments:

A Peppermint Penguin said...

Only half the wardrobe? ;-P

That is a nice wee pile of yummy. No it's not possible to go to a good wool shop and come out with only that which one went in for. Ask me how I know. Worse my local, good but not great, has buttons. Nice buttons. That shout, buy me and put me on a cute bag. So I do. Buy them that is.

I still haven't knitted a sock. My mum is knitting a balaclava for the sailor's society. I suppose they'll be grateful when they out at sea! (it's kind of a crazy pattern they sent, but hey, they must know!)

One box. I see your one box for a box like deep drawer. And the full packs of 'jumper in the ball stage' in the wardrobe. Er, 2 I think. But we won't count the UFOs. That would be just embarrassing.

Just lucky I can't get to BaaRamEwe.

:D

SewRuthie said...

Oh lovely. If it makes you happy its OK to buy it :-)

becki-c said...

At least you got the thing that you went for! Everything is absolutely yummy.
BTW, my stash has graduated to 2 closets, and I have at least one wardrobe for summer and one for winter. The secret is to not keep anything that you wouldn't actually wear.

SewRuthie said...

And the fabric only fills half the wardrobe? Mine is way past that. The wardrobe is full and there are piles in other locations as well.