Although I've only had a reasonably quick look through and haven't read it in detail, my initial scan through suggests this will be a super useful book. It doesn't cover fitting issues at all, but assumes you have a well fitting master trouser pattern. The content headings are as follows:
Learning from Custom and Ready-to-Wear Garments
Tools and materials
Basic construction
Pockets
Fly fronts
Waistbands
Refinements
Learning from Projects
Many of the examples shown are men's trousers, but the skills are applicable to both mens and womens trousers. One thing which is not included, and which I would have liked to have seen, was linings. David states early in the book that he is not a fan of linings for trousers. Which is fair enough and I can certainly see his point of view. Nevertheless, my personal preference is for a lining and I had been particularly hoping that there might be something in the book about how to tackle a lining in trousers with a fly zipper. I do have an instruction sheet, but its not illustrated and I don't find it easy to follow. I am also not sure how I will handle the lining with some of the waist treatments he shows, but this will probably become clearer as I work through the book in a more hands on and practical way.
The instructions throughout the book look clear and easy to follow with plenty of tips for getting a really nice finish on the various details. I am very inspired by this book and there are several things I want to try. I was pleased to see there is a very clear explanation of inserting zips into pockets which I can use when making my Marfy trousers. However, first new procedure to be tried will be the button fly, which I am hoping to apply to a pair of jeans very soon.
Being realistic, I think I have time to make three pairs of trousers before I have to change tack and concentrate on summer sewing and some gifts.
Trying to keep myself on track then, my plan is as follows:
- Finish the jeans I am currently working on. Jalie 2908.
- Button fly jeans. Also Jalie 2908.
- Marfy Trousers with zipped pockets. I still haven't compared the pattern to the master yet, nor have I chosen the fabric, but currently I am keen to make these in navy with contrast zippers in the pockets. These will be summer weight trousers so will count as my first item of summer sewing.


1 comment:
I have seen that book at Amazon before, it is good to know that it is helpful. I absolutely love his shirts book.
Which Marfy pattern are you using?
Post a Comment