Well, the master trousers were comfortable. They had a couple of minor issues; the waistband was slightly too large, I suspect this is partly due to the soft stretchy fabric, and partly due to a conscious effort not to overfit. Belt loops would fix it quite adequately, if I was willing to add them. I don't like doing belt loops because I can't get them neatly attached. I need to do a bit of research on that and conquer my fear. The fun lining also gets a bit staticky, but overall, I was content that the master can be used to compare with a new pattern.
I have traced out Marfy 1876, the trousers with the cute zipped pockets shown in my previous post, and hope to make my first attempt at comparison sometime over the coming weekend. Whilst tracing the pattern I discovered that the trousers have a pocket on the back which I hadn't seen in the drawing. Not seeing things in the drawings appears be quite a talent of mine. I think the general consensus from comments here and on the review, is that I didn't read the drawing correctly for the Marfy 0653 trousers and having looked at the drawing again I think this is correct. I am rather relieved to find that it was my fault and not the pattern's. I am still unhappy with the look on me, and won't make them again, but that is a whole different issue.
So, last night, it might have been sensible for me to scour my sewing library in search of instructions on how to insert zips neatly into places like pockets since I've never put zips anywhere except seams before. However, I am not sensible. So I went into the sewing room and cut out a waistcoat. Marfy 2187 to be precise, which is the free waistcoat with this year's catalogue. I did the flat pattern measurements as I was taught in tailoring class, and made the alterations several weeks ago but then it got put down for some reason. I've cut straight into the cloth (no muslin) which is the black and white tweed that was left over from my SWAP trousers this year. The lining is black heavy satin and I am intending to make multi coloured buttonholes and match each button to its coloured button hole. Or at least, that is the current plan. All the pieces are cut out and I am currently overlocking round them all as the fabric frays terribly.
5 days ago


2 comments:
Oooh sounds fab (the plans for the waistcoat that is). So each buttonhole will be a different colour but will have matching button?
Sounds exciting! I have a hard time with belt loops too, but they are necessary as much as my waist changes. I can't wait to hear how those pants are coming.
Post a Comment