Saturday, April 3, 2010

Remaining SWAP tops are done




Yep, the SWAP is almost done. I have six tops, one of which is a pre-made item, and only have three hand worked button holes standing between me and SWAP completion. Well, if you say "three hand worked button holes" quite fast, it sounds like less work and trauma than it actually is.


Top four, is a red poly wool knit from Fabrix in Lancaster. The pattern is New Look 6470, or at least the body and cowl are. The sleeves are from a BWOF long sleeved tee. The colour picks up one of the red shades in the blue/black/red semi sheer top I made earlier and the pattern is one I've made several times and wear often.


Top Five is Marfy 0692, a sleeveless tank. I wanted to use a different pattern with a large cowl neck for this gorgeous turquoise fabric but I couldn't get it out of the remnant sized piece, no matter how I folded it or however many times I walked around it. So, my default top when I cant' quite get anything else out of a remnant is this Marfy tank. I love the gathers and the whole thing can be made from less than a metre of fabric, including cutting self bias binding. This looks really lovely with the black jacket, I know its comfortable as I've made at least four of these and who couldn't love that stunning fabric?


I really wasn't thrilled with having another black and purple top, which was the only other piece of fabric I had that worked for top six. I'm on a fabric diet right now so purchasing more fabric was not an option. However, whilst I was procrastinating about the purple and black fabric, the ironing pile fell over on me, disgorging my favourite turquoise silk blouse which I'd made for a wardrobe sew along last year. I felt this brought a colour balance to the SWAP that had been a bit missing so have decided to enter this as the premade item and sixth top. Please excuse the state of it in the photo... I said the ironing pile fell over.... I didn't say I'd done anything about actually applying the iron to the pile of garments.
Today I put the sleeve linings into the jacket and finally took all the tacking out. I've sewn the cuff buttons on and am now working my button hole practice runs on fabric scraps. The first one is better than I had expected, but still has a vague look of having been chewed lightly by a rodent.

3 comments:

A Peppermint Penguin said...

The red is nice, but I love the blues.

See? Serendipity as a result of NOT ironing. You knew there was a good reason for leaving it to teeter at you!

Cheers,
AJ

PS you shall not be defeated by the buttonholes, that is both my wish and belief!

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad I'm not the only one who mixes & matches sleeves & bodices from various patterns! Love your swap, congrats on finishing.

SewRuthie said...

Love all the tops, and you are there bar a few buttonholes. It must be a great feeling!