Monday, April 26, 2010

Marfy 0653 Trousers



I decided I should review the Marfy trousers I made the muslin for last week, since its only fair to review the bad projects. Behold the trousers as they came out.
I've looked at the drawing a number of times over the last week and truly can't decide whether the trousers are just as pictured or not. They certainly are not what I had expected them to be, but I could have misread the drawing. They kind of look like the drawing, except much wider than I thought the drawing showed. I even wondered if I'd traced out the wrong size, but the hips fit (about the only part that does) so I am inclined to think I didn't trace wrongly based on that fact. It is so unusual to find a Marfy pattern that doesn't come out exactly as per the drawing that I can't help feeling I must have missed something in the drawing or description.

The catalogue description states: "These straight, midi pants have a central slit". I read that to mean a straight legged trouser. I was expecting a trouser that was fitted with only a little ease at the thigh, then fell straight down from that point. The trousers I ended up with have six or more inches of ease at the thigh and are very wide at the hem. When compared to the master trouser pattern, this pair are one inch wider in the leg than the master and I would consider the master to be a wide legged style.
Shown below are two photos of Marfy patterns from the catalogue for comparison. The one shown with the pink top is the pair I just made the muslin for. The other pair are from this year's order and one of the pairs I was hoping to make once I had sorted out the fit on the muslined pair.
When I compared the newly purchased pattern to my master pattern, the legs were considerably narrower than the master pattern. To my eyes, the two drawings show trousers with similarly proportioned legs. Am I failing to see something in the drawings?

2 comments:

SewRuthie said...

I think the drawing is too slender. Midi pants were wide leg pants worn by sailors with their sailor tops with the funny collars. They seem to have taken them literally in this case.

Sharon said...

Not sure if this is how it works, but the small diagram on the left of the Midi pants is front on and definately shows the width, where the diagram on the body is side on maybe this caused the confusion.