Monday, May 26, 2014

Flying Geese block

This is one of the smaller blocks I have done.  All the blocks vary in size a bit but are designed to be brought up to a standard 14 inch size by adding a frame to the block.  I used a different book for this one, and it was only after I'd made this up and found it was a bit small that I thought to check the book.  All blocks are 10 inches in this book and not the 12 inches I had blithely assumed.   I've added a frame of the background fabric to bring it up to a larger size.

The block came from two books in the end. The layout is from the Lynne Edwards book but she used a folded technique which left areas that were not sewn down fully.  This is not a good plan when you have a dog that scratches the bedclothes into a nest.  So I found a foundation block that included the geese, from Nancy Mahoney's Quilt Block Bonanza, and extended it to fit by making four sets of geese in separate foundation strips, adding an extra row to each strip to make it larger.  Each strip of geese was then attached to its outer background strip, then these units were attached to the centre square. 

 This weekend I've spent most of my time trimming the blocks I have done so far down to size and adding the frames.  I've had a few problems with the accuracy of the square sizes, and for this reason I've added extra wide frames to all the blocks.  When I've got to the point of putting it all together, I'll cut them down to the right size.  I had originally planning to use black to match the sashing but most of the blocks I have so far didn't look very good directly next to the black so I'm using plan B, the backing fabric as framing.  This sets the squares off much better and will tie the back and front together better. 

1 comment:

SewRuthie said...

Nice rotational symmetry.