Saturday, October 31, 2009

Sewing with not much of a plan

Hmm, I just visited Stitchers Guild and people are getting on really well with their SWAP plans. Then I visited RuthieK's blog and she has her SWAP well on the way to being worked out. Me??? Well, I have a large rubbermaid box filled with various possible options, a large pile of "maybe I will, maybe I won't" patterns, about fourteen lists spread around the house and office with possible options and ideas for embellishment, but no real clue what I am going to do. What I do know, is that I will make the Option One SWAP: six tops, four bottoms and a free choice item which will be a jacket. I have definitely decided on two of the bottoms, two pairs of black pin striped trousers. I need these badly so they are going in the SWAP no matter what. I fancy making some black jeans with embellishment, so they may go in too. I have the fabric for all of those. Beyond that, all is a bit vague.


This week has been mainly SWAP planning since I can't start cutting my next project, the second version of Marfy 1444, until tomorrow when the One Fabric - Wool contest officially starts since I may enter the jacket if it works out well.

Since I couldn't start on that yet, I've just spent the afternoon altering the tissue pattern for another Marfy jacket, 1625 which is shown below. I did the same alterations to this jacket as I did to the 1444. I will cut and tack the muslin this week and I will be very interested to see whether it is true that if you do a particular alteration to one Marfy jacket, the alteration will be the same or similar on any other with similar lines. 1444 was a shoulder princess seam front and back. 1625 has a shoulder princess seam at the front, but an armhole princess seam at the back, which I am hoping will work in my favour in terms of fitting my wide back but narrow upper chest. I seemed to need a smidgen extra in length to the bodice below the bust compared to the 1444 jacket, and I am still not sure I added enough there so will cut the muslin with extra wide seam allowances. If the muslin works, I can then make a first version so that I can work out the kinks before I use it in my tailoring course in January. I will be making a winter jacket so the sleeves will be full length and not seven eighths as shown in the drawing.

So, November sewing will be two jackets which should pretty much take care of the month.

5 comments:

SewRuthie said...

"So, November sewing will be two jackets which should pretty much take care of the month." No kidding! Am amazed you can manage two whole tailored jackets in a month.

becki-c said...

So, are you using 1625 for your wool contest entry? If you are, then I will use 1245, which I was really thinking about anyway.
If I were you, I would lay the two pattern on top of each other to compare them before I made any alterations. Personally, I find them consistent, usually. Having said that, I had an unusually hard time fitting 1444.
I don't know about the sewing guils SWAP's, but PR's are incredibly flexible. You can change your mind as often as the fabric and/or patterns changes it.

A Peppermint Penguin said...

More jackets! I'd be cowering metaphorically behind the sofa with a plain skirt or two afte the last round. But you go!

Colours?

Cheers,
AJ

Jenni said...

Becki, No, I'm going to do a second version of 1444 for the One Fabric-Wool contest because I refuse to be beaten by a pattern. 1625 is going to be for my SWAP and will be done during my tailoring course if the muslin works out OK.
I am really looking forward to seeing your version of 1245.
Thanks for the tip on laying the patterns over each other. I will try that later today. The cutting out of the 1444 jacket is taking longer than I anticipated.

SewRuthie said...

Re the plan for the SWAP, I love the teal sweater, can you incorporate any teal, or purple or red, or all 3?