Saturday, June 6, 2009

Success and a sort of success

The leggings were a success!!!!!!!!!! I made only one alteration, which was to take several inches off at the ankle but that was expected because I made the tall girls version so that I had enough body length, but being only five foot one, the legs were always going to be too long. Other than that, they fit out of the envelope. I was gobsmacked. I don't think that's ever happened to me before. I haven't quite finished them. I've mislaid the black thread I need to finish the hem and sew the elastic casing at the top, but they are the most wonderful fit and so comfortable. I think I shall make several more pairs very soon. Best of all, they took all of fifteen minutes to sew up. Add fifteen minutes for cutting out, and a further half an hour for hems and casings (because it takes fifteen minutes to chase the elastic round the casing when it inevitably escapes), I have a pattern I can make in about an hour. It will probably take me longer than that to write the review and take the photos.
Ruthie, thanks for the suggestion about wearing them with a mini dress... I'll have to have a search to see if I have a pattern for one.

The Marfy top was not so easy as it looked and took a lot of fitting and fiddling to get it right. Unfortunately, the muslin ended up only barely wearable, but I've done the pattern alterations on the tissue so I'm ready to go again on version two. Before I try this again though, I need to look up how to install facings properly. I set off convinced I knew what I was doing but managed to sew myself into a corner from which I was unable to turn the facings through to the wrong side and had to disassemble both side seams and sew through the shoulder seam space and even more fiddly and annoying, understitch through the shoulder space (with a walking foot on the machine just to add to the fun). I think it will be very cute though, once I have the fitting and the construction order worked out properly.

The jeans are still in pieces. I didn't get as much done as I had hoped today, but did at least get the edges of all the pieces overlocked ready to start in earnest tomorrow.

1 comment:

SewRuthie said...

'they fit out of the envelope' WOW! That's great :-)
The other stuff sounds more fiddly though :-( but I am sure you will win in the end.