Sunday, July 3, 2016

Spin Along and Tour De Fleece

Yesterday saw the start of the Tour De France, and thus the Ravelry Tour de Fleece.   I am entered to the Tour de Fleece for the first time, spinning for Team Nunoco (of course).  You have to spin at least once a day for every day the team rides in the Tour De France.  Doesn't matter how much you spin, or what you spin, though as I am only in Team Nunoco all my spinning will be Nunoco.  

I didn't get much spun yesterday. You can see how much in the top left photo.  This is a test run using a tiny bit of the spin along fibre pack, the fabulously named, Cloudy with a Chance of Summer, to see what sort of yarn weight I might get with a three ply.    The rest of the pack, divided out ready to spin,  is shown in the pink compartmentalised box.  On the top of the box is the teal and gold batt dropping that I am using for the Tour De Fleece part of my entry.  Its not easy to see in the photo but the batt dropping has a massive vein of golden sparkle running through it and loads of cerise coloured silk noils.  It should make a seriously gorgeous yarn. 

The spin along runs concurrent with the Tour and I'm doing both. If I have time, I may spin other Nunoco fibre, but for the moment, these two packs are all I'm planning.

The batt dropping will be a two ply and I'm aiming for a double knitting to aran weight.  The Cloudy with a Chance of Summer will be a three ply, fractal, and I think will come out about sock to double knit weight.  The test was done on a spindle but my thumbs are still too sore to spin it all that way so I'm wheel spinning both packs, and that probably means they will come out thicker than the test run.  I'd been intending to spin the Cloudy... on  my lovely spindle but that's evidently not going to be possible. 

This will be my first three ply project, and the first time I've ever attempted a fractal effect. 

There has also been some sewing at SewYLD Mansions this weekend, and some knitting, but neither of these projects are ready for publicity yet.   Hopefully soon though. 

2 comments:

SewRuthie said...

Lovely colours, enjoy your spinning!

Accordion3 said...

Excellent concept!Next year I might try a stitch along with the TdF.