Sunday, August 15, 2010

Mini Nightsongs




I wanted to come up with a cute name for my latest creation, but sadly couldn't come up with anything more exciting than mini Nightsongs. The pattern is Gail (aka Nightsongs) by Jane Araujo and I found it quite a challenging knit since its not quite the beginners project I had thought it was when I cast it on. It took a lot of concentration and obsessive counting, not to mention a spell with coloured pencils, colouring the chart so I could tell which was a k2tog and which was a ssk without flicking to the legend every single time. For some reason I can't ever remember which symbol is which for these two.

The project uses the same yarn as mum's Christmas Annis. I had quite a bit left over and had wanted a neck scarf sized lace triangle for a while so it seemed meant to be. The Nightsongs pattern can be knit as large or small as desired by altering the number of repeats so I knew I could just knit until the yarn ball got really small then change to the edge rows. The actual pattern is for a full sized shawl in four ply/sockweight yarn. For the last four rows I was almost sure I had miscalculated and was going to run out of yarn but in the end I had a ball left about the size of the end of my thumb. Overall, I'm really pleased with this. I think it will lift tee shirts/round neck tops and make them look a bit smarter, as well as working well in the neck of jackets if I want to wear scoop neck tops but am unsure whether it will be warm enough to wear such a thing. These lacy pieces are a lot warmer than you would imagine them to be which is always a plus in my book.
The first photo shows the scarf unblocked sat on the desk. The second photo shows it being blocked on a large cardboard cutting mat and the last shows the finished item on the faithful Twiggy.

3 comments:

Sharon said...

Wow, that is so delicate I can't believe it is knitting. Beautiful work.

becki-c said...

That looks incredible! Your talent never ceases to amaze me. that looks very detailed and intricate. I bet ti took a lot of concentration and focus.

SewRuthie said...

Wow! That is very pretty, very detailed, and you know what very you!