Saturday, August 29, 2015

Basic but necessary

Apologies for my absence.  Work has been mad and I've not had much time to sew.  And when I did have time to sew.... well things didn't go to plan.  My overlocker still isn't feeling very well so the quick and simple tops I decided to just run up on a production line one day took me three weeks and a lot of swearing, to get done.

I am showing one of the three black tops, because they are all basically the same.  The fabric came from Emma One Sock and is 14 oz rayon lycra jersey.  Lovely stuff to work with and very obedient to cut out and sew.  However, the overlocker took a dislike to the fabric, or maybe it liked it too much... cos every chance it got, the flipping machine ate the fabric.  It also ate every other piece of fabric I offered it.  I've had a play with the machine this afternoon and I've moved the knife blade further across... I am hoping this has fixed the problem and I'll make a Cleo dress using cheaper remnant bin material from Abhakan Fabrics and see if the machine behaves properly before I embark on sewing more of my precious Emma One Sock knits.  Why do machines play up only on material that you mind about, and never on the scrap you used to test it, or the muslin you threw together to check the fit? 

Anyway, I had three yards of the black fabric and with a  bit of  careful planning and re-folding of the yardage I squeezed out three tops.  Admittedly one has sort of odd length sleeves and a shorter collar, but they are all very wearable.  The odd length sleeves were a slight error.  I cut the sleeves shorter than full length but then forgot I did it and hemmed them.  I had planned to cut the sleeves to elbow length when I tried the top on, but there were two weeks between making the top and hemming the top and I forgot about the plan to cut the sleeves down.  Since I'll be wearing something else over the top though it hardly matters, and if anyone asks, I cut them that way so I could showcase my Pandora bracelet rather than have it hidden up my sleeve.  :) 

The pattern for the black tops was my self drafted knit top pattern which is very close fitting and has various necklines and front options that I've drafted for it over the years. 

I had three strangely triangular shaped pieces of animal print rayon jersey in stash and had planned to make a Santa Monica tee with a mix of the left over black and the animal print.  However, very careful layout and the addition of a back seam in the top, meant I was able to get a whole top from the animal print.   Which I was super pleased about as it will allow a pair of chocolate brown wool trousers and a vintage leather mini skirt to get some wear this winter.  The animal print is also a lot warmer than it actually looks and feels very soft.  The remnants were left over from a skirt I made last year, so I suppose I could wear them both together with a  wide leather belt also, though I may not have the confidence to carry off that much animal print in one go. 

2 comments:

SewRuthie said...

Hey the animal print and the black top(s) look great!

becki-c said...

Very pretty! I love what you did with those weird scraps, nice top.
These are both very wearable!