Monday, April 13, 2015

Why cut one thing....

when you can cut out three?

I've not been sure what I wanted to sew next but that all changed on Sunday morning when I dived into the stash, inspiration struck at a rate I couldn't keep up with and half the stash and patterns ended up on the floor, paired up, during a frenzied half hour of digging.  :)   The yarn stash got the same treatment, then I realised the carpet wasn't actually visible under the piles of stuff I'd excavated from various locations, so I listed all my decisions and tidied it all away again.  Tidier cupboard, lots of planned projects... win win situation.   Aren't these lists great?  I make them so often and they are always different.  Each fabric is normally planned into multiple incarnations before the scissors dictate the final outcome. 

Priority for construction was given to navy blue ponte due to a desperate need for a navy polo neck.  As I also had some navy fabric with printed white spots that has been in the stash for over a decade, having come from Emma One Sock in one of her exciting bundles I followed Ruthie's lead, cutting out and sewing several navy things to save changing the overlocker threads over. 

The ponte was left over from a dress and leggings I made last year and with a bit of careful layout and planning I managed to get not only the planned top but also a skirt from the piece I had.  The top is Burda World of Fashion 10/2006 No. 114.  Its actually a round neck top but I made a second tracing of the front and raised the neckline to take the polo neck collar that I prefer.   It has nice side shaping at the waist so is quite a flattering pattern and I tend to use this one for knits with a medium stretch.  My ponte is not the stretchiest and I was a bit worried about the polo collar, but by cutting it lengthwise down the fabric (direction of most stretch) and cutting it almost one to one ration with the neckline, I was able to get it over my head.  I use a trick that I read years ago, and make my collar up first, slightly larger than I think I'll need, try to get it over my head and then I can always overlock a bit more off to make it smaller if its too large.   Saves making up a lovely looking top that you then can't get over your head. 

The skirt is the StyleArc Ali pattern that I made last year.  I had to shorten it a bit to get it out of the left overs I had, and have done the plain version without the gathers in the front.  So just two back pieces, sew up the side seams, put the elastic around the top, fold it to the inside, catch it down, and do the hem up.  Super quick.  It had to be shortened part way up, and not at the hem as it has a tapered silhouette (which is fabulously flattering) and I wanted to keep that.

Finally I made the spotted top up.  I only had maybe three quarters of a metre of this one, so had to do just above elbow sleeves and a stand collar rather than a roll over one, but I'm very pleased with the end result. I'm very pleased with all three items.  I like the way the ponte collar stands slightly away from the neck at the front and sides, I love the spotted fabric and the stand collar is cute, and my skirt is just lovely.  Fitted but totally comfortable. 

Three items, all comfy but smart so I count that as a successful use of a Sunday.  

3 comments:

SewRuthie said...

Wow looking GREAT! I think I am going to copy the skirt idea with the back pieces from my Vogue 2989 skirt pattern and my navy ponte.

Julia said...

You put me to shame with your industriousness Jenni! Great work for a Sunday, love all if them!

becki-c said...

One Sunday? On Sunday I did dishes, vacuumed and napped. Oh, and pinned the neckline for a blouse 90% done.
Yep, I'm ashamed. You have always been so industrious!

Oh, I can't believe you are still wearing long sleeves and necks. Here its 80 degrees already.