
My jacket now has a front zipper... I spent a fortnight procrastinating about this part of the process but in the end it went reasonably well with only two points where a seam ripper was required, and that was only to tidy up the line I'd taken. I'm quite pleased with my afternoon's work. I think the front lapels will lie better in the half zipped position once the top stitching has been done but I didn't want to top stitch when I was tired so I'll leave that task for next time I get into the sewing room.

So far the jacket seems to fit reasonably well and the fabric is working successfully with the pattern. I'd been slightly concerned it would be too lightweight but it seems to be holding up very well. Next step will be the sleeves, which also have zippers but I think they are in the seam so should, theoretically, be less stressful than today's work. Once I have the sleeves in, it will be easier to assess the fit but at the current stage there appears to be plenty of room in the back shoulders where I normally struggle most and the whole jacket is a slightly more relaxed fit than I normally attempt so I'm hopeful that all will be well. The hem is just tucked up roughly to the inside to give a general idea of length here.
I doubt there will be much more work on this jacket prior to next weekend. I am trying to complete the Hexaghan blanket rather than going into the sewing room during weekday evenings. I'm on the very last section and the number of hexagons needing knitting is finally in single figures so the end is finally in sight and I'm determined to get it done.
3 comments:
Looking good!
The zips are all looking great. Well done!
Love the look, you got the so nice and straight. This step makes me nervous. The details can make or break the whole jacket and yours definitely make it.
Post a Comment