Monday, October 27, 2014

More Handspun

This is the second half of the bag of merino fibre in mixed shades of blue.  I watched a couple of Abby Franquemont video's on YouTube and suddenly realised I was drafting my fibre incorrectly, which was making things very much more difficult than it needed to be.  Once I got the hang of what Abby was showing in the video, I was able to draft thinner and this yarn ranges from sock to aran weight I would guess, so an improvement on the double knit to super chunky weight of the last skein I spun. 

I'm pleased with both of them though I am still aiming to spin thinner than this, and more evenly, but spinning seems to have quite a long learning curve so I expect there will be a few more thick and thin yarns in my future before I can get down to the sock and lace weights I really want to be producing.  I also think a better quality spindle might help get me closer to my goal but that is going to have to wait a little while. 

I have a couple of knitting projects on the needles at present, both for Christmas gifts, so I'm working on those next, but they may not make it to the blog before Christmas of course.  However,  I am also planning garment sewing projects that I hope to get around to in the next two or  three weeks, time permitting; one project is a coat in a very heavy wool that will need a lot of planning as I'm not sure how to sew such heavy fabric successfully so need to do a bit of research on methods of handling such fabrics before I can commit to the project. 

No comments: