Sunday, August 24, 2014

Ann T Top

I have got behind with the blog and have lots of sewing to report on.  This top was made last week and it came out rather well.  This is another Style Arc pattern, the Ann Tee Top.  I got this one as a free download via Gorgeous Fabrics on Facebook. It had been on my wishlist since I first found the pattern brand so I was super pleased to get it.  

For this top I went down one size to a size 6 and was able to make this up with very little alteration.  As I ordered all my new patterns in a size 6, this is defintely a good thing.

This version is in a very stretchy lycra/poly/spandex type knit and as it has a heavy drape and masses of stretch, I had to take the side and sleeve seams in a bit more . I don't think I'd have to do that with a less stretchy knit so overall I was pleased with the fit.

The neck band could have done with being a tad shorter to pull the neckline in a bit, but I think that was operator error (sewing it into a circle using the wrong seam allowance width).  It is wearable as is and its an easy thing to fix for next time just to make it perfect. The neckline shape and height is very good  though, quite a modest scoop and well shaped.

The ruching makes this top look that little bit different and I really love the look of it when its worn.  It is achieved using elastic in the side seams. I haven't attempted this before and think I used the wrong kind of elastic and maybe didn't have the hang of doing it correctly as it all went a bit messy.    Next  time I will probably try using clear elastic to see if that works better.  Or possibly shirring elastic couched into place with a zigzag stitch and pulled up.

The pattern came as a full back piece   and a full front piece and was cut single layer, and NOT on the fold as many patterns are. I know changing a half piece to a full piece  is very easy to do, but somehow I don't often do it.  I really appreciated the full pieces as I think it would make layout of a large statement print much easier to do.

I have been really impressed with this pattern line so far. The drafting is really good, they are well marked and they go together really well.  And they also seem to fit me with almost no alterations.  A definite bonus.  I think I'll be making this top more than once.

Also in the photo you can see a tiny peek of the skirt I made the same day.  Post coming soon on that.

1 comment:

SewRuthie said...

Looks great, love the twist on a classic and the beautiful fabric you have used.