Sunday, July 13, 2014

Rhododendron Star block

This block, which is a 12 inch one, came from   "Paper Pieced Stained Glass Garden Stars" by Liz Schwartz and Stephen Seifert.  A few years ago I made a "Best" quilt (ie. not suitable for putting on beds when you own a dog)  made entirely from this book, every block different, and completely hand quilted.  So I've done this block once before for that quilt.  

Its one of the simpler patterns from the book but I thought it would balance some of the more complicated pieced blocks as well as allowing me to showcase the last of the lily fabric from my stash.  Of all the blocks, this very simple one has had the most changes of potential fabrics. I couldn't seem to find just the right fabrics somehow.   In such circumstances I think you just have to settle on a pairing and go with it, hoping it will work as you envisage it. 

And this is the final block so now I just need to decide on the layout/sashing etc, cut down the squares to all be the same size, and construct the strips for the top.  That may take a bit of time so it may be a week or two before the next instalment of this particular project is ready to be shown.  In the meantime, there is the monkey a month project underway for July, and some progress on my blanket... hopefully there should be some garments to show off as well this month, if all goes to plan. 

1 comment:

SewRuthie said...

Looks great. Wow you have made all those blocks in a really short time!