Sunday, October 9, 2011

Pajama Party




I met up with RuthieK in Preston for a shopping and chatting day. We did a prodigious amount of both and it was an excellent day.



I was trying to stick to a £30 budget and only went over by £7 which I didn't think was too bad considering we went to both Abakhan and Preston Market. At the market I got some navy blue boiled wool (not pictured). This was what caused my budget to expand as I couldn't leave it behind, all lonely on the stall. It will become a jacket for work though I have yet to decide on the exact pattern. I want to make a notched collar jacket (the Marfy pattern with the inserted waist belt ideally) and need to work out how to achieve this in boiled wool with a single layer collar.



The first photo shows my haul from Abhakan. I was very restrained and only got what I went for, pajama fabrics. I bought enough for three pairs but when I got home, I found that I had three stash fabrics (the yellow floral and the spotted are shown in the second photo, there was also a bit of hot pink that I had already cut out before I remembered to take photos). It looks like I will get 5 pairs of PJ's, by making contrast bands on a couple of pairs. I may have enough fabric left for a couple of winter under tops too.

Photo One:

The top fabric is a waffle knit with only a small amount of stretch, but enough for a top.

The next pink fabric is double fabric, two layers of very thin jersey, one with regular spaced holes in, the other without. Almost like thermal vest fabric. It possibly is thermal vest fabric when I think about it.

Below that is a very large piece of black with dark blue animal print.

Then there is a plain blue heathered.

Then to the right is a hot pink plain

Then below that, a mint green background with christmas trees and penguins on it. I just love the print of this one but sadly it had a huge printing flaw in it so even though its a big piece of fabric, most will end up wasted. The pink matches the penguin's hat so the top will have pink sleeves and the bottoms will be the pink but will have penguin cuffs.


Photo Two:

Yellow lycra cotton jersey from a Wazoodle grab bag.

Black background with multi spots. A previous Abakhan bargain.


So I've spent this afternoon trying to work out economical cutting layouts but the fabric isn't properly dry yet so I've only been able to actually cut out the fabrics that were already in stash.


This morning was spent altering a tissue pattern and cutting out a muslin so I think its safe to say that I have plenty of sewing to occupy me over the coming weeks.

1 comment:

SewRuthie said...

:-) nice fabrics.
I was less bugetly constrained and went a bit nuts. My pics will be on another day.