Sunday, November 7, 2010

Photos at last and (hopefully) a new TNT



Better late than never I suppose. Here are the black trousers as promised. I wore them as soon as I'd made them and had to wait while they came out of the laundry and I got around to ironing them. It was much too cold outside this morning for a proper outdoor shot, so the photos are not great. I had to fiddle with the contrast a bit to get any detail but they are black, though admittedly a slightly grey black due to the very slight sheen on the fabric. These were made from my Jalie jeans pattern. They are being worn with BWOF 09-10 No. 121. I gather this has been a very popular top on Pattern Review and I am, as always, late to the party.
I love this top. I think I am going to love this pattern a lot. Indeed, I think I am going to love it in lots of colours. Behold the loveliness of the version shown below. This is a black and white poly print which the lovely Leelah sent me as a thank you for loaning out a pattern to her. This has been marinading in my stash for some time awaiting the perfect pattern. I will be wearing this to work one day this week, with a black pleated skirt, thick tights and riding boots. The poly is gorgeous soft to wear, and if this pattern works well and is comfortable all day, I can feel a marathon turtleneck frenzy coming on. This pattern is super quick to make. I laid it out and cut it in about twenty minutes. The construction took about forty five minutes. The hems took ten (I cheated and used Steam a Seam). I am planning to set up the cover stitch machine at some point and hem several tops at once. In the meantime, Steam a Seam is making them wearable. Lazy I know.

Interestingly, I spent longer in town on Saturday morning looking for a half way decent, affordable (ie. NOT £198) ready to wear turtleneck than I spent actually making myself one in the afternoon. And unlike three of the turtlenecks I tried on during the morning, you can't see my underwear through this one. Anyone know if there is a new fashion for having sweaters so thin you can see your goosebumps through them? Whatever happened to affordable basics, well made, and in a range of colours. Every time I attempt to shop for clothes I remember why I sew.




4 comments:

SewRuthie said...

Very nice! I can see you making LOADS of these Jenni. Its a great style on you and super quick to sew up.

becki-c said...

Fabulous fit!

Sharon said...

Great pants and your new turtleneck is a great fit.

Karin van Dam said...

lThat looks great. I can imagine you'll want to make lots of those. I look forward to see them in all kinds of colours :-)