Monday, March 31, 2014

Marfy 3358 Dress - again

This version is in navy Ponte knit. 

This is item ten for the SWAP.  I've already covered the construction of this dress in the post dedicated to the muslin that wasn't a muslin.  The only differences with this version were I had to stabilise the back seam where the zipper went in with a fusible stay tape to avoid rippling the seam.   I put the princess seams together wrong sides together on the bodice, trimmed them really close and put the trim over the seam allowances.  This means that the "nice" side of the seam is on the inside at the armhole.  As I put the trim on from the inside folded to the outside and stitched (rather than the other way around) this avoids seeing the seam allowances at the edge of the armholes at all.  I had planned to do the centre front seam the same way but chickened out in the end. The back of my knit is black, or as near black as makes no difference, so at the neckline I've sewn a length of black bias over the seam allowance on the inside neck, so that it all looks lovely. 

The trim is purchased satin bias binding in 5/8 inch width.  I had a bit of trouble finding a decent quality.  Much of the bias tape on sale in my home town had the tiniest imaginable turnings on it, and the cotton ones were so thin you could read the newspaper through them.  I was quite disgusted really as I didn't feel that they were fit for purpose intended. 

I will wear this one as an overdress and of course it has matching leggings should I feel cold at all.  :) 
The trim makes me feel happy every time I look at it, and the dress looks smart but is comfortable due to the fabric.  Its also warm, a must in the north facing office I inhabit for more hours of the day than is strictly sensible.  I have multiple tops that will work under it, so all in all, I am very pleased with this one.  I have some black ponte knit in stash, bought for leggings but with a bit of care, I think I can get this dress out as well.


1 comment:

SewRuthie said...

Wow that is amazing! Is it navy blue? It reads as black on the screen, but I guess if it matches the leggings it is navy.