Monday, August 5, 2013

The vintage dress again...

And here is the dress, all finished and being worn.  There are multiple photo's because I'm ridiculously pleased with this dress.  Not even finding that I should have made a couple of tweaks to the bodice, has dampened my enthusiasm.   The armholes gap slightly at the back - but taking the princess seam in slightly would have fixed that.  Likewise, I have a slightly gaping back neck... again, fit as you sew would have fixed this, I think.  I compared it to the navy dress, and that doesn't have the same issues, so its likely just an example of different fabrics behaving differently.  I must admit if something works once, I tend to assume it will work again, despite different fabric... its not the first time I've been caught out. 

I've also tried this on with a top underneath it, and it can just about be used as an overdress.  I think if it was made to be an overdress, I'd sew the armhole seam finish at a generous three quarters of an inch, not five eighths, and that would do the trick.   Not that I'd make an overdress with a full circle skirt... but I drafted a straight version of the dress yesterday.  Originally this was just so I could make a muslin that didn't take an entire sheet to create, but I was pleased enough with the muslin to plan a wearable version, so I've traced the dress out properly, given it a square neckline (slightly angled inward) to make it look a bit different, and its sat awaiting fabric choice.  If it works I have plans for overdresses for winter. 

Due to the way I drew out the dress (attaching the altered bodice tissue pieces to a bit of card with tape and drafting down from the existing bodice pattern), when I took the tissue and card apart I had a useful byproduct in the form of a panelled skirt block......this still needs to be traced out onto tissue but I have plans for this skirt fairly soon inspired by a Threads article I read recently. 

 And here is the dress in motion so to speak.  Heaven only knows what my neighbours think I'm doing out in the garden twirling about like a six year old in her first party dress but there you go.  I made myself all dizzy in the pursuit of showing off the best features of my new gown.  Even the dog sat on the lawn watching me as though I'd taken leave of my senses.   


 

2 comments:

SewRuthie said...

Its looks wonderful in action well done. Do you have a little cardi to wear over it?

Sharon said...

Fantastic dress, and love the spinning to show off that gorgeous skirt.