Saturday, October 16, 2010

Not sewing

I haven't sewn as much as a stitch, nor knit one either, since I last posted. Well, I suppose that is a slight lie... last weekend, RuthieK visited me and I sewed two seams on a muslin for her. But apart from that... not a stitch.

We had a lovely weekend but sadly we had a visit from the Unpixies, as Ruthie dubbed them. Ruth brought her gold tie waist blouse to show me and we decided it needed to lose its bow and gain some pretty buttons and loops. But Ruth had sewed those ties in so tightly that I honestly couldn't see the stitches. Pixies must have done it, we said. And a great pity there were no Unpixies about to Unpixie their work. So we had to Unpixie it ourselves. Good job I had two seam rippers. Its one of the most amusing seams I've ever unpicked because we couldn't stop giggling about these Unpixies. isn't it good to know that grown adults, with responsible jobs, can actually behave like two year olds.

Also, in another echo of two year old behaviour, neither of us would give in and go to bed. We were so busy chattering about sewing that we both looked like zombies on Sunday morning, groaning into our coffee about it not being sensible to stay up really late at our advanced ages (well mine anyway, Ruth being younger than I). So this week at work has been challenging in the staying awake in meetings department. Indeed, I was challenged by the Chairman on Wednesday as to why I was looking at him funny. I wasn't looking at him at all, I was sleeping with my eyes open. Said eyes just happened to be pointed in his direction at the time.

But the main reason for the lack of sewing or blogging is my College course. I started a diploma in Management and Leadership in September, and haven't had a minute to do anything but eat, sleep, work and study since then. And there hasn't been as much of the sleeping as I would have liked either. It has been a long time since I have studied anything academic. Its taking me longer than I expected to get into my stride with the course which has meant a lot of very late nights, early mornings and a lot of playing catch up at work because I miss one afternoon a week to attend College. Having said all that, I am enjoying the course immensely and its already showing benefits at work I think. I've worked pretty solidly all day today and achieved most of the targets I'd set myself with the course work, so my reward is updating the blog.

I think that my blogging and sewing is going to be a bit sporadic whilst I do the course, but there WILL be sewing (she says to herself grimly and with determination). But its only been four weeks and I am really missing my sewing already. Tomorrow I hope to cut some trousers out. That will be a reward for working on a 1000 word report on Health and Safety.

3 comments:

A Peppermint Penguin said...

Oh goodness that sounds grim. Glad you are starting to surface a bit.

Here's my Health&Safety - cutting out whilst tired = 2 left legs. check, check again, check again and again. You can't frog sewing.

Cheers,
AJ

SewRuthie said...

I have to finish the blouse after that! LOL! Make sure you do cut out the trousers.

becki-c said...

LOL! while I finish school I did no sewing! But, I finished school which feels unbelievably good. I would recomend you work on something simple and leave all tasks which require deep concentration to holidays and vacations.
Until then, you can't go wrong with with: "I was thinking about what you said in that meeting sir." It's always worked for me.